Friday, April 17, 2009

Put on a Zoot Suit. . .

"Que le watcha a mis trapos, ese?"

As I heard these words read by Oscar during the beginning of third period, I knew I was off on a wonderful adventure-- able to explore a classic American play with my terrific senior students. I don't know about you, but so far reading Zoot Suit has just been so fun for me-- I'm learning, but it's so entertaining that sometimes I don't realize just how much I am absorbing. I hope you are enjoying the play as well.

I hope that you are also starting to think about some of the issues that Valdez writes about-- universal human concerns of fairness and justice. Some of these issues, will, I hope make you at least a little angry as well as entertained-- angry and sad for all of the Henry Reyna's, in East L.A., yes, but also around the world. I think these universal issues of justice are ones that we can all relate to, and appreciate, as well as coming away with the historical facts surrounding the real Zoot Suiters, living people who lived right here in our neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. __Yes, I to enjoyed the play as well. I was really intrigued by the way the author, Valdez wrote the play. He included a lot of slang and language that the zoot suiters used to speak in. This play has been pretty entertaining for me because there is so much going on. Some of the issues that Valdez wrote which include justice and fairness have made me a little angry. For example, in the courtroom ho wall the members of Henry’s gang were treated by the officials who happened to be of different race. Those universal issues do relate to some of us, unfortunately the world has a lot to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the author did a great book when he wrote the book Zoot Suit it was kind of old skool the fact that they spoke english and spanish in the book as in switching it they would be speaking english and out of no wher it would become spanish it was an interesting book not like the last one we did this one was cool and people wher into it it had alot of action and when the period was over people would wonder what was gonna happen the next day and looking foward to finishing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oscar was good when he was doign the speech by him self. 3rd perios is the best, she cant enough of us. Zoot suit was a very interesting book to play out, even though it wasnt fair that Ms. Strojny kept picking on me to read. So much was going on sometimes for me it was hard to keep up, mabye because I talk alot to. But over all the book was a good experience for me to read, and i wouldnt mind reading it agian. I would like to know if theres any other books related to this, if there is then we should it in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the "Zoot Suit" book is really interesting i guess...cuz i can see everyone enjoy it while reading it in class. This book has lots of part that talk about fairness and justice. If i were born as a Latino, this book would make me angry sometime about the racism during that time. The white people shouldn't discriminate badly the 38th gang because they were Latino. However, as long as everyone enjoy the book, including me, then i guess this was a good book.

    ReplyDelete